Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee

Diskutiere Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee im DeLonghi Forum im Bereich *** Sonstige Kaffeevollautomaten ***; Hi all this is an amazing forum there thank you all for the information you added here. I have an issue with my coffee machine and I am trying to...
  • Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #1
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
Mechanikkenntnisse vorhanden
Professional embedded developer
Genaue Bezeichnung der Maschine
ESAM 4200.S
Hi all this is an amazing forum there thank you all for the information you added here.

I have an issue with my coffee machine and I am trying to add as much information as possible to help me debug the issue.

The coffee machine receives power (I can tell because when plugged It resets its position).
When I turn it on (by pressing the ON button on the control panel) I can see the power led turning on and the boot of the machine starts.
The machine pumps some (hot) water as expected and waits for a button press.

When I push the “cup” button to make coffee the brewing unit gets into position to accept the coffee but stays there and wait indefinitely (the led stays ON on the button I pressed)
If i press again the cup button it gets back to "waiting for button to be pressed" so its not completely on a frozen state.

Here is some information I gathered:
The sensor of the water reed appears to be working correctly as expected. I have checked that when the magnet approaches the switch changes state.
The led on the control panel that notifies that the tank is out of water also appears to be working.

The top microswitch that detects whether the brewing unit is in position has also been tested and working as expected.
It changes state when the button is pressed.

The bottom microswitch that detects if the door is closed is also working as expected.
It changes state when the plastic pushes the button.

The boiler is heating up the water, I can tell by the temperature of the water coming out when booting the machine.
I have also tested the two fuses inside the boiler and there seem to be ok. Tested by a multi meter and I can see that there is continuity across the two sides.

The grinder doesn't start when the machine is on that odd state of waiting instead of make coffee.
I have also tested to try make coffee without grinding coffee (by rotating the knob to the position for powder instead of beans). but I instantly get the exclamation mark led on.

I have also tested the steamer which seems to be working as expected, it delivers steam after I press the steam button and after the machine prepares for it.

My conclusions are:
The pumps work as expected.
The boiler is working as expected.
The 2 microswitches are working as expected.
The out of water sensor is working as expected.
The control panel LEDs are working as expected.
Control panel knobs are working as expected.
Control panel buttons are working as expected.
The coffee grinder shouldn't have any impact because I get the same outcome when I set the knob to powdered coffee instead of the grind beans. (it also doesn't get any voltage when is supposed to)
The motors and the transmission board that move the brewing unit around seem to be working as expected.
I know that the top position is detected by the snap button but I dont know if that sensor that is on a separate board has any impact on the moving of the brewing unit.

Things I am not sure about:
Could it be the temperature sensor that never reports the expected temperature or this should not prevent the machine to make coffee ?
Not sure about the water flow sensor doesn't feel like it is related to the problem but don't know to test it out of the machine.
Could it be something to do with the infusor? does the machine expect to read something from the infusor before it gets to start making the coffee?

Do you think that this is a firmware issue ? Or does the firmware not reading something from a sensor ?

PS: Sorry for the language I don't speak German, I have been using google translate to understand the forum.

Anhänge
  • PXL_20230225_183824976.jpg
    PXL_20230225_183824976.jpg
    2,4 MB · Aufrufe: 14
  • PXL_20230225_193432148.jpg
    PXL_20230225_193432148.jpg
    3,7 MB · Aufrufe: 14
  • PXL_20230210_165510914.jpg
    PXL_20230210_165510914.jpg
    3,1 MB · Aufrufe: 14
  • Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #2
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
I have also uploaded a video on youtube because it was too large to upload it here:

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #3
Palatino-User
Palatino-User
Espressotrinker
Kalimera? ;)

I think you have a problem with the grinder or the control board. The grinder is controlled by a triac, if this is defective, it will not start.
But it can also be the motor of the grinder itself. If you can handle electricity, you could also test the grinder separately at 230 V.

First you should check whether the grinder is free and not blocked by foreign objects.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #4
Palatino-User
Palatino-User
Espressotrinker

The schematic should be similar to your machine. But I am not sure!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #5
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
Thanks for the response @Palatino-User . The grinder shouldn't be used at all when knob is set to powdered coffee.
I also tried the delenghi service in my area and they said that on test mode the grinder works as expected.

Their conclusion was that there is a problem with the firmware but I am not too sure about it.
It doesnt seem like a firmware problem to me, it should either work or not when it comes to firmware.

My suspicion is that expecting for some sort of reading that is never received and therefore stays there for ever.
For example wait until temperature is X but the sensor is not working.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #6
Palatino-User
Palatino-User
Espressotrinker
Have you tried the test mode yourself?

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #7
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
I didn't know how @Palatino-User, but i figured it out and test all functions.

Both motor positions work as expected. It gets into both positions and stops there.
Grinder works
Pump works
Heater works and seems like it detects temperature reaching target.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #8
R
Richard-53
Kaffee Junkie
If you can read out the firmware, do this. Make the PIC blank. Delete the EEPRO part of the PIC and upload the software again.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #9
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
Thanks @Richard-53 I will try this once I get the programmer. I also tried to find a firmware for this machine on the list but I cannot find a match.

Does this sound like a firmware issue by your experience ?

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #10
R
Richard-53
Kaffee Junkie
Yes, that is possible, the error is in the EEPRO and if this is deleted, the device behaves like a new device. Which Delonghi code does your power board have 52xxxxxxxx?

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #11
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
@Richard-53 the delonghi service engineer told me that I need the "AS13200036" board.

Unfortunately they unsticked the label so I don't have a complete picture of it anymore.

But gladly I took a partial picture before I give it to them.
I can see the following number on the sticker
Picture is attached.

And I can see on the board silk print 3560203119.
Also attached.

I will also upload the firmware here once I get a programmer.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #12
Palatino-User
Palatino-User
Espressotrinker
We need a picture of the Sticker on the White relais on the powerboard. Thats enough.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #13
R
Richard-53
Kaffee Junkie
Anhänge
  • 20230226_180930.jpg
    20230226_180930.jpg
    155,8 KB · Aufrufe: 24
  • Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #14
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
@Richard-53 @Palatino-User You guys saved me thank you very much.. this is what was needed. to clear the EEPROM.

I took a full backup, then erased all device.. and reflashed the program section only.

Thank you so much, attached my hex file for reference.

Anhänge
  • export hex.zip
    28,6 KB · Aufrufe: 14
  • Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #15
R
Richard-53
Kaffee Junkie
Glad we could help you. Have a good time.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #16
Ano
Ano
Espressotrinker
@Richard-53 @Palatino-User You guys saved me thank you very much.. this is what was needed. to clear the EEPROM.

I took a full backup, then erased all device.. and reflashed the program section only.

Thank you so much, attached my hex file for reference.
So the dump you posted is of a pcb with this number: 5213213691, correct?

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #17
A
akavoukis
Teetrinker
I took the machine on the service and it came back without the sticker.

I took a picture before that and you can see a partial label. on the pictures attached.

I asked the service guys about the label and they told me I need a replacement board AS13200036 but I can't know for sure.

• Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee Beitrag #18
Ano
Ano
Espressotrinker
Ok, must be the "5213213691" then that @Richard-53 mentioned :)

Thema:

Problem with ESAM4200.S EX:1 not starting to make coffee

Oben